Mailchimp is an marketing automation platform and email marketing service. The biggest limitation is that you can only send a campaign to a contact once. This means Mailchimp cannot be used for receipt email (because a contact may donate multiple times, in which case they can only receive the first receipt email). For that use case, please refer to this article on Mandrill (a transactional email service).
However, it can still be used to send one-time emails. For example, you can use it to send a welcome email to each audience who donated, or other use cases you can think of!
Step 1: Set up Campaign in Mailchimp
- Go to Audience → Manage contacts → Tags → Create tag (e.g. "NewPayment")
- Go to Campaigns → Create campaign → Email → Automated → Email subscribers when they're tagged, and Edit Trigger to include the tag you created. This means this email will send every time an audience is tagged "NewPayment".
- Go to Design Email, follow the steps and draft your email. Tip: use the format
*|FIELD|*to include merge fields. Follow this mailchimp help article if you want to create new merge fields.
Step 2: Set up Zapier
- Follow the steps from this article to set up the "when this happens..." part.
- Add a "do this..." part. Choose "Mailchimp" and "Add/Update Subscriber".
- Proceed to Choose Account
- Proceed to Customize Subscriber, select the Tag you created, and add the incoming data to corresponding merge fields. For example, if your email contains the field
*|DONATION|*, make sure you correspond the donation amount to this merge field in zapier:
Step 3: Test & Done!
- Test it, turn on the zapier, and enjoy the magic of automation! Now your email receipt will send automatically every time a payment comes in.